Thursday, July 13, 2006

What's for breakfast Mom?

This morning, as I prepared and ate my breakfast, Owen looked at me with larger than usual puppy-dog eyes. He has been watching Gabe and I eat, and reaching for our food for a month now. And today I gave in. I wasn' going to - I meant to hold off feeding him food until we went camping, as that's when he would be 6 months old (almost). But we leave for camping on Sunday, so what's the harm of giving him something a few day sooner?

I couldn't give him what I was eating - turkey sausages, grapefruit, and cooked oatmeal cereal. And I didn't want to give him rice cereal (I should wait until Gabe is home for that one). So I gave him a "Baby Mum Mum". I bought them at Save-On Foods. They are rice cereal in solid form that babies can hold, break off, and gum to death. So I thought, Owen was able to break off small pieces qite easy. He didn't choke (or even come close), but he did suck on the pieces and spit them out. I don't think he actually "ate" any of it. But he was so pleased with himself!

I usually taste what I'm giving him, but I haven't tried these yet. They smell like rice cakes. Owen made some funny faces when eating them, so they probably aren't flavored at al, but taste just how they smell.

I let him suck on one of the pieces, which gave me enough time to finish my own breakfast. After he mangled the largest piece, I tried to give him the rest, but he was done. And I guess it tuckered him out, because he went right down for a nap, and slept over 2 hours!

I hope it works this well next week at the campsite!

P.S. He rolled over again today! From back to front. He’s done it twice today already. And he was able to free his hand this last time, so he could play once he got there. He hasn’t gone from front to back, but I’m sure he’ll figure it out soon.

4 comments:

Catrina said...

We have the baby mum mums or whatever they're called, but I have never given them to William yet. I guess I could try :) I know once William rolled over one way, it wasn't too long before he went the other way, but every baby is different :) I keep waiting for William to start crawling away, which I am not looking forward to that quite yet :)

Kassianni said...

I love the look on his face. So stoic. "It's disgusting, but it's food, and I shouldn't waste it... sigh!"
hahaha. so cute.
Before I zoomed in on the package, it looked like it said "Rice Rocks". Yum.

Joe, Stacey, Joshua, James and Matthew said...

Joshua almost lived off those Baby Mum Mums for several months! They make a great 'please be quiet and good for Mommy' food! :)

myn said...

that is a great photo of Owen! great description Vic! he looks really uncertain and unimpressed: "food looks so much mroe exciting when their eating it!"